2018 Farm Bill
Now is the Time to Voice Your Support for Robust Conservation Provisions in the 2018 Farm Bill
The Missouri Prairie Foundation (MPF) and the Conservation Federation of Missouri (CFM), of which MPF is an affiliate organization, urge Missourians to contact their members of U.S. Congress and ask them to support Farm Bill conservation provisions to the fullest extent possible. Citizens are also encouraged to write letters to the editor of local newspapers. Submitting letters to the editor is a great way to encourage other citizens to voice their support of robust funding for 2018 Farm Bill conservation provisions.
The Farm Bill is a massive piece of legislation that is passed approximately every five years going back to 1933. The Farm Bill includes twelve titles or sections that cover many aspects of farm policy, food and nutrition policy, and conservation. The Farm Bill is the largest source of federal funding for conservation on private lands.
All Farm Bill conservation programs are entirely voluntary and provide funding—from tax dollars—for conservation practices that farmers and ranchers must carry out on their property. While these practices occur on private land, all citizens benefit because of the resulting greater protection of native grasslands, and safeguards for soil health, water quality, and wildlife and pollinator habitat. Farm Bill conservation programs are very popular and often have long waitlists of farmers and ranchers wanting to participate.
We know that clean water, and healthy streams and soil are important to Missourians throughout the state. These natural resources will degrade if funding for Farm Bill conservation programs are cut from 2014 Farm Bill levels.
Resources to use when planning your conversation with your U.S. Representative and Senators McCaskill and Blunt:
• Talking points on Farm Bill conservation programs.
• 2018 Farm Bill platform from the National Wildlife Federation, of which CFM is a state affiliate. This resource provides excellent, comprehensive information about conservation provisions in the Farm Bill.
• CFM podcast on the 2018 Farm Bill with CFM Executive Director Brandon Butler, and MPF Board President Dale Blevins and MPF Executive Director Carol Davit.
• Sample letter to the editor.
• CFM Resolution, approved at the 2018 CFM Convention – Support of Robust Native Grassland and Grassland-wildlife Friendly Conservation Measures in the 2018 Farm Bill
Find your members of U.S. Congress here.